Sore throats can be really irritating; they are usually the first symptom for an incoming cold, a strained vocal cord or an indication of a serious underlying ailment.
Regardless of the cause, you should get relief as fast as possible. Most sore throats are categorized as not serious discomforts that can be sorted by some home remedies we will be listing below.
1) Baking Soda Tea – Baking soda has a slightly alkaline PH and several antibacterial properties that make it suitable for killing off bacteria that may be lodged in your throat.
Make a simple solution of baking soda, a glass of warm water and a half teaspoon of salt. This solution is best for treating infections just on the tip of the throat; it is not suitable for swallowing.
2) Sucking Garlic – Garlic is rich in antibacterial compounds, this makes it a natural remedy that can rid you of a sore throat. Place 1 piece of garlic in each cheek, and suck on it gently. Occasionally crush your teeth against it to release the allicin.
Allicin is an active compound in Garlic that kills bacteria causing strep and other microbes that cause irritation and pain.
3) Lemon – Lemon juice has desirable antibacterial properties. The juice kills bacteria, clears unwanted mucus and can help reduce the pain on the sore spots. Lemon is sometimes mixed with honey for soothing relief.
4) Gargle with Warm Salt Water – Sore throat is technically swelling and inflammation that occurs in the mucous membrane. By gargling with salt water you decrease the swelling, it’s primary function is to draw out water, which in turn shrinks the swollen cell and eases the pain.
Make a salt solution by mixing a teaspoon of salt with warm water and gargle (please avoid swallowing).
5) Drink Ginger Tea- Ginger tea can act as an expectorant, which means it helps loosen and expel mucus from your respiratory system.
Ginger tea boosts oxygen circulation to the cells, flushes toxins, and speeds up the healing process.
To prepare this anti-inflammatory drink; boil ginger in water for 3 to 5 minutes, and add some honey or flavors as you like.
6) Honey – Honey is a sweet anti-bacteria that helps coat the throat when it’s, itchy, dry and painful.
Honey helps coat the throat when it is dry, scratchy and painful. It also kills bacteria. It should not be given to children under 2 years of age
7) Rest & Fluids – Ensure you’re letting your body rest, and drink as much fluid as you can. This, combined with other remedies will help kick a sore throat out.
For more advice and help, feel free to ask a Doctor via The Reliance Care App